Professional Development: Leadership Training
Formal options for rangeland management professionals to undertake leadership development include:
- Internal staff training courses offered by many employers, and
- External, early and mid-career focussed development and training programs.
The following examples of external programs are of particular relevance to early and mid-career people in rural and remote Australia. Some include mentoring and travel opportunities:
- AgriFutures Australia – Horizon Scholarships (https://www.agrifutures.com.au/people-leadership/horizon-scholarship/)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (https://aicd.companydirectors.com.au/)
- Australian Rural Leadership Foundation (https://rural-leaders.org.au/our-programs/arlp/ ) . See: Australian Rural Leadership Program, Emerging Leaders Program, Agribusiness Leadership Program
- A.W. Howard Memorial Trusts’ Graziers or Rangeland Pastoralists Study Award (https://www.pir.sa.gov.au/top_menu/pirsa_careers/aw_howard_memorial_trust/graziers_rangeland_pastoralists_study_award)
- Breeding Leadership (AWI) (https://www.wool.com/people/education-and-leadership/breeding-leadership/)
- Cattle Council of Australia/NAB Agribusiness Rising Champions Initiative (https://www.cattlecouncil.com.au/rising-champions)
- Future Farmers Network bursaries (https://www.futurefarmers.com.au/bursary-scholarship-opportunities/)
- Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program (https://marcusoldham.vic.edu.au/courses-enrolment/leadership)
- National Farmers Federations’ Diversity in Agriculture Leadership Program (https://nff.org.au/programs/diversity-in-agriculture-leadership/)
- Nuffield Farming Scholarships (https://www.nuffield.com.au /)
- Graham Acton Beef Connections Mentoring Program (http://beefaustralia.com.au/learn/beef-connections/ )
- Sheep Industry Leadership Program (SILP) (Sheep Producers of Australia/MLA) (http://sheepproducers.com.au/silprogram/)
- Women and Leadership Australia (https://www.wla.edu.au/)
- Various breed society programs, and
- Various industry/regional specific “one off” programs.
These options vary in duration, cost and potential support available. Sponsorship requirements and the time commitment may limit participation in some of these external programs at certain life stages. Former award recipients’ reports are available on the websites of several of the above organizations, and these provide practical reflections of professional development issues and informative and insightful stories of professional development and career journeys.
(Updated: August 2020)